On September 11, 2021, a plane bearing the banner, “Believe Kathryn Mayorga” was flown over Old Trafford. This was in protest against Cristiano Ronaldo. The message was in support of Kathryn Mayorga, a woman who claim the Portuguese captain sexually assaulted her. Here is all to know about the Cristiano Ronaldo Rape Claim.
In 2009, budding model Kathryn Mayorga says she was abused by the footballer in a hotel room in Las Vegas that year. She then filed a report with the Las Vegas Police immediately after the incident.
The Las Vegas Police confirmed they received a complaint in June 2009. However, they added that the victim did not provide detectives with the location of the alleged incident or the description of the person.
The case was eventually closed in 2009. However, in 2010, she reached an out-of-court settlement with the football star involving a $375,000 (£288,000) payment not to publicize the allegations. The case was however reopened in 2018.
This time, Ms Maryorga filed a lawsuit offering the details she withheld the first time. According to her, her boldness to come out and speak is a result of the #MeToo Movement.
So far, the Portuguese footballer has always denied the claim and said the sex was consensual.